Birth Mothers Day & Defining "Real"

Today is a great day. Today is a day where I reflect on my brave, loving, and selfless decision and able to take pride in the fact that I am a birth mother. I spent the evening shopping in Dana Park with my beautiful mom telling her to pick out anything she liked. Then we went to kneaders and got some soup (due to my wisdom teeth its all I can eat), and then accidently going through the Jack in The Box drive through because my mom thought it was kneaders. Ha! You know you're getting old when.... It's okay, at least I got an oreo shake. So it was worth it. It was really a good day.

I once read a birth mothers blog. In it, she wrote that her childs adopted mother would write things on her facebook wall that would hurt her such as, "Any woman can just give birth, but it takes a real mother to raise her child." And I thought about that. I thought about the word real. She was right in the sense that giving birth does not make someone a real mother. It certainly doesn't. Just as signing papers doesn't make someone a real mother. What is a real mother? In my opinion, a real mother is someone who makes sacrifices. Someone who wants only the best for their children. Someone who puts their children above EVERYTHING else. If that applies to you, you are real. Bekah proves she is a real mother everyday. She puts her childrens needs above all else. I am real as I made that sacrifice in the beginning for him. For a chance for him to have a better life than what he would be born into at the time. If you want the best for your child you once had, will have, want to have, or do have...then you are a real mother. For all of you mothers out there, birth mothers, adopted mothers, mothers who have miscarried, mothers who lost an angel baby and is now back in heaven, mothers who are raising their children they gave birth to, mothers who are waiting for their precious child to come into their lives...If you've only always wanted the best for your kids- Happy Mothers Day! You are real. 

Best gift I could've ever received :)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Adoption Story

Our Miscarriage Story

LIFE